Recipe by Elana's Pantry
Carrot Kugel --who would have thought of that? Well, the fabulous Lisa Stafford, that's who. Lisa recently posted her recipe for Carrot Souffle in my forums... http://www.elanaspantry.com/carrot-kugel/
Top Review by Chef VP
I like this recipe a lot. I eat Primal (no grains, no refined sugar, etc.), and this is a good option for breakfast. I used fresh-ground nutmeg and almond flour, and the flavors really pop. I double the almond flour, too, because it came out underdone, the first time I made it. I've also tried it with tangerine peel, too. The flavor is somewhere between spice cake (with sweet carrots) and sweet potato pie.
I'd also suggest using organic baby carrots. They're quicker to steam and they are a little sweeter.
- 1182.95-1419.54 ml chopped carrots (approximately 2lbs)
- 59.14 ml agave nectar
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 14.79 ml orange rind
- 3 eggs
- 59.14 ml blanched almond flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrots in a steamer until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Blend carrots, agave, cinnamon, orange rind, eggs and almond flour until smooth in vita-mix.
- Place mixture in a greased 8" square glass baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour, until browned around the edges and done in the center.
- Serve warm out of the oven, or allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight and serve cold.