Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a lovely accompaniment to any spicy meal. You can use Beetroot (cooked and grated)instead of the carrot. You can add some curry leaves chopped during the tempering for an added flavour.
- 2 cups yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- salt, to taste (black salt preferable if you manage to get it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or 1⁄2 green chili, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots (or extra according to your preference)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- mint leaf (to garnish) (optional)
- Mix the sugar, salt, cumin and chilli or cayenne into the yoghurt and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Grate carrots and chill.
- Just before serving mix the yoghurt and the grated carrots together.
- Heat the oil in a small vessel.
- When it is hot add the mustard seeds.
- As soon as they sizzle add the oil and the mustard to the curd and carrots.
- Serve garnished with coriander and mint.
- Note you can sprinkle the cayenne pepper on top instead of using it in the curd and omit the garnish with the green leaves.
Fabulous. Great blend of flavors. It wasn't sweet, but the slight sweetness of the carrots modified the tang a bit, yet it was still cooling.