Recipe by Girl from India
This is a lovely accompaniment to any spicy meal. You can use Beetroot (cooked and grated)instead of the carrot. You can add some curry leaves chopped during the tempering for an added flavour.
- 2 cups yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- salt, to taste (black salt preferable if you manage to get it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or 1⁄2 green chili, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots (or extra according to your preference)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- mint leaf (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the sugar, salt, cumin and chilli or cayenne into the yoghurt and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Grate carrots and chill.
- Just before serving mix the yoghurt and the grated carrots together.
- Heat the oil in a small vessel.
- When it is hot add the mustard seeds.
- As soon as they sizzle add the oil and the mustard to the curd and carrots.
- Serve garnished with coriander and mint.
- Note you can sprinkle the cayenne pepper on top instead of using it in the curd and omit the garnish with the green leaves.