Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy preparation, can be made ahead, and goes great with beef.
Make and share this Carrot Horseradish Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs young fresh baby carrots (or regular fresh carrots peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 (6 ounce) bottle prepared horseradish (2 tablespoons or up to the entire bottle to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Ritz cracker crumbs (about 20-25 crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Boil carrots in water until just tender reserving cooking liquid. Mix mayonnaise, chopped onion, 2 tablespoons horseradish or up to the entire bottle to taste (we use the entire bottle), fresh ground black pepper (to taste) and a bit (about a half cup) of the carrot cooking liquid to make a sauce. Fold cooked carrots into sauce and pour into baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Combine crushed crackers with melted butter to make topping. Sprinkle topping onto casserole and bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for about 30-45 minutes or until bubbley and golden brown.
I lost my mother's recipe from the 70's with creamy horseradish and saltines. This was much better. For more power I added diced green Hatch chile. I think maybe a P.F. Goldfish topping next time.
AWESOME! I love carrots and I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. This is something we'll be eating often! Thanks for sharing CookingLuv!
This is another recipe I cut in half while making, & it was made to see how the flavor of the horseradish would combine with the other ingredients, & I'll admit it was very, very good, even if I did use just a very rounded tablespoon of the stuff! Between my love of carrots & my other half's love of horseradish, we both enjoyed this side dish! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]