Recipe by CookingLuv
This is an easy preparation, can be made ahead, and goes great with beef.
Top Review by Glenn P.
I lost my mother's recipe from the 70's with creamy horseradish and saltines. This was much better. For more power I added diced green Hatch chile. I think maybe a P.F. Goldfish topping next time.
- 2 lbs young fresh baby carrots (or regular fresh carrots peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 (6 ounce) bottle prepared horseradish (2 tablespoons or up to the entire bottle to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Ritz cracker crumbs (about 20-25 crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil carrots in water until just tender reserving cooking liquid. Mix mayonnaise, chopped onion, 2 tablespoons horseradish or up to the entire bottle to taste (we use the entire bottle), fresh ground black pepper (to taste) and a bit (about a half cup) of the carrot cooking liquid to make a sauce. Fold cooked carrots into sauce and pour into baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Combine crushed crackers with melted butter to make topping. Sprinkle topping onto casserole and bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for about 30-45 minutes or until bubbley and golden brown.