This is the 1st of 3 Indian recipes found in 1 of my Grandparents.com Newsletters. Carrots & milk may not sound like ingredients for a crowd-pleasing dessert, but 1 bite of Carrot Halwa (from Anupy Singla’s The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes) came w/a promise to chg your mind. A traditional Punjabi dish freq sweetened w/sugar & flavored w/nuts & raisins, Halwa is a smashing end to any meal. Use a 5 qt slow cooker & then serve hot or cold. This recipe yields 7 cups, but is easily halved. In that case, a smaller slow cooker may be used. NOTE: I found 7 recipes for Carrot Halwa & didn't compare all of them w/this recipe, but I do know 1 thing - None of them use a slow cooker as their cooking method. Cooking time does not include the slow cooker time & cooling time as neither requres real attention & I estimated 20 min for the time required to grate the carrots. *Enjoy!*
My Private Note
1/2 Cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grate the carrots by hand. (This dish is a labor of love & this is the only real labor part of it.) The carrots break down much better if they're hand grated. Alternatively, you can grate them in a food proc. Anupy Singla said the pre-grated, store-bought carrots aren't worth using as they're grated too thick & too long.) Put the carrots in the slow cooker.
- 2Bring milk to a boil on the stovetop & pour over the carrots in the slow cooker.
- 3Cook for 3 hrs on high. Remove the slow cooker lid & cook for another 3 hrs on high. Replace the lid (but leave slightly open) & cook on high for 3 more hours. By now, the carrots will be cooked & will look soft & watery.
- 4Transfer the carrot mixture to a wide, heavy pan & cook on the stovetop on med-high for 15 minutes.
- 5Add the sugar & cont cooking (stirring) for another 15 minutes. While stirring, slowly add the crushed almonds & the ghee or butter. Add the raisins + ground cardamom & cont stirring.
- 6When the carrot mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan on its own & becomes thicker, it’s done. Take the pan off the heat & let the mixture cool for about 15 minutes. Garnish w/grd pistachio & almonds to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Halwa (Made W/Ease in Slow Cooker) - Zwt-8
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.4
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 29.5 mg
- Sodium 126.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 40.4 g
- Protein 6.4 g