Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This unique Indian dessert was found in the cookbook, Vancouver Entertains.
Make and share this Carrot Halva recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Spread almonds and pistachio nuts in separate shallow baking pans and toast in oven for 5 to 10 minutes, turning once; remove and cool.
- Heat butter in a saucepan.
- Add carrots; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Scald milk in another saucepan; add milk to carrots and cook for 40 minutes, stirring frequently, until milk is absorbed.
- Add sugar and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add almonds, and raisins if you're using them.
- Spread carrot mixture on a large platter and shape into a mound; decorate surface with pistachio nuts.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Lennie, I've made this so many times now - I've lost count and with great reviews. Thanks a bunch for a great Indian sweet - the measurements are perfect. Will be making it again to welcome the New Year!! :)
My mom makes this all the time, and it's fantastic! You can make it lighter by omitting some of the nuts, but that doesn't really do justice to the dish. Another variation is using sweetened condensed milk instead of the milk and sugar. This reduces the cooking time a tad. But the best carrot halwas are the ones made with milk and simmered forever! Hope you've tried this, Lennie... if you haven't, I insist you do right away! :)
Love this recipe with Cardamon. I find it takes much longer to cook than 40 minutes....so i used the crock pot, and substituted Agave syrup for my no sugar eaters. Turned out lovely for Divali party....