Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Can be made with fresh or bottled carrot juice.
- In a pitcher or other pourable container, combine the carrot juice and brown sugar, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When finished, the granita will be soft and have the consistency of a sorbet.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours.
- To serve, scrape the top of the granita with a heavy ice cream spade or scoop, to create shaved ice crystals; serve in small chilled dishes.
- *Carrot Apple Granita: substitiute 1 ½ cups clear apple juice for 1 ½ cups carrot juice; proceed as directed.
- *Carrot Cranberry Granita: substitute 1 ½ cups cranberry juice for 1 ½ cups carrot juice; proceed as directed.