Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hearty Winter Warmer. Crowd Pleaser.
Make and share this Carrot Ginger Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg carrot, chopped (any type)
- 1 big yellow onion, chopped
- 10 g ginger, chopped (or crushed)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 500 ml water
- 100 g barley, whole grain, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bouquet garni (optional)
- Saute onion over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes until golden and soft.
- Add the ginger and stir over low heat for a minute or so.
- Turn heat up and add carrots with a little bit of liquid if the the onion starts to stick. (I like to use a little stock).
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes or until carrots start "sweating".
- Slowly add the stock and the water as well as the barley. (Make sure you rinse the barley a bit before using it - I like to use whole grain barley, for extra fiber. You could also soak the barley for an hour or so before cooking).
- Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots have softened.
- When carrots are cooked puree in blender but reserve some of the barley on the bottom of the pan.
- Add more stock or water if it's too thick - but make sure the stock and water are warm.
- Add the barley at the end for a little bit of contrast.
- Enjoy with a dollop of creme fraiche or cream cheese!