Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In 'The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook'. 180 cal, 8 g fat,6 g fiber per 1 1/2 cup serving. **I used jarred fresh ginger, 3 tablespoons. I pureed with stick blender in the pot--worked well.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped medium (about 9 carrots)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (do not substitute ground ginger for fresh ginger)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the carrots and onion; cook until the vegetables are softened, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce the heat to med-low, and cook until the carrots are very tender, about 16 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender, in batches, until smooth.
- Return the soup to a clean pot, stir in the milk and orange juice, and cook gently over med-low heat until the soup is hot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle individual bowls with chives before serving.