In 'The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook'. 180 cal, 8 g fat,6 g fiber per 1 1/2 cup serving. **I used jarred fresh ginger, 3 tablespoons. I pureed with stick blender in the pot--worked well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped medium (about 9 carrots)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (do not substitute ground ginger for fresh ginger)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- 2Add the carrots and onion; cook until the vegetables are softened, 5-10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- 5Cover, reduce the heat to med-low, and cook until the carrots are very tender, about 16 minutes.
- 6Puree the soup in a blender, in batches, until smooth.
- 7Return the soup to a clean pot, stir in the milk and orange juice, and cook gently over med-low heat until the soup is hot.
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Sprinkle individual bowls with chives before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot-Ginger Soup
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.3
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.2 mg
- Sodium 193.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 7.2 g