Recipe by Janice Gill
A small cup of this soup makes a beautiful starter while a large bowl with a home-made roll is a good lunch dish. The ginger acts as a digestive it is well tolerated by those with digestive upsets.
Top Review by Bangers n'Mash
I tied this recipe after another one, and found it very tasty. Watch for the ginger taste, a 1/4 cup was a bit too strong and came through in the final dish. I would reduce this amount slightly next time. None the less it was most enjoyable. Well done. Thanks Bangers n'Mash.
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced ginger
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter
- 6 cups chicken stock, tinned or homemade
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan cook the onion and the gingeroot in the clarified butter over moderate heat until the onion is softened.
- Add the stock, carrots, and the sugar, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 35 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- In a blender or in thefood processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the mixture in batches.
- Force through a fine sieve and stir in the cream and heat the mixture over low heat stirring occasionally for 4 minutes.
- In a larger saucepan melt the unsalted butter over moderate heat.
- Add the flour, and cook, stirring for 4 minutes or until the mixture is foamy.
- Stir the carrot mixture into the roux with the orange zest and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for at least 5 minutes but do not boil.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and very thin slices of carrot.