Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick and very refreshing salad, perfect for any hot summer day. This salad pairs well with curries or any spicy stew. It travels well too, so would be a good addition to the picnic basket or a party table. For another layer of flavor add 1/2 teaspoon rose water, if available.
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 4 -5 medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Place dried cranberries and orange juice in a glass measuring cup and microwave on high for 1 minute. Let sit for about 10 minutes to allow cranberries to plump.
- Toast nuts in a medium skillet over medium-low heat until just beginning to turn golden brown and fragrant. Immediately remove from heat; when cool, chop coarsely and set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a medium non-reactive bowl and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours or up to overnight before serving, stirring once or twice.
OUTSTANDING SALAD, what with the combo of the berries, OJ, TOASTED almonds & carrots (Oh, yes, & the ginger played a nice part here, too!) ~ Definitely a keeper of a recipe, thanks to your posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]