Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Women's Health Magazine, these taste awesome and they're really healthy for you! I like to put them in the fridge and microwave one for breakfast. Here's Women's Health Mag description: You may still be sporting sandals, but cold and flu season will be back faster than you can say "Gesundheit!" Protect yourself with this spicy triple threat. Carrots are rich in immune-boosting vitamin A, zinc-packed pumpkin seeds ward off infection, and apple juice flows with sniffle-stifling vitamin C. "If your body needs to protect itself or heal, these three vitamins are essential," Zeratsky says. Another weapon: yogurt. Studies show that its good-for-you bacteria provide another line of defense against microbes.
- 1⁄3 cup frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil juice over high heat until it becomes syrupy. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together wheat bran, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and dried ginger.
- In a separate bowl, combine reduced juice, egg, yogurt, carrot, fresh ginger, and molasses. Combine mixtures and then fold in pumpkin seeds.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
Very good. It's moist and low calorie! I changed a few things.
I added 2 tsbp flaxseed meal, upped the ginger to 2 tsp, added 1/4 c bran and 1/4 c less of the flour, And 1/4 cup more of shredded carrot.
My son and husband loved it as did I. Something I can get my kids to eat good and healthy- be full, and want more of it!
The flavor is wonderful, but shouldn't there be some oil? They don't stick to the pan because of the liners, but boy, do they stick to those!