Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've revised a recipe I recently posted to make it a fruit/veggie soup in vegetarian/vegan style. Pre-peeled baby carrots make this soup super-easy. This is a takeoff on a recipe I found on Epicurious-Bon Appétit December 2005
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 6 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 chopped celery
- 2 (1 lb) bagspeeled baby carrots
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 small cantaloupe (muskmelon)
- 10 coarse chopped strawberries
- ground cinnamon or cinnamon stick
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic.
- Sauté until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, tomato, celery, and broth.
- Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add fruit last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Working in small batches, puree soup in blender until very smooth; return to same pot.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Cool slightly, cover, and chill.
- Rewarm over low heat before continuing.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon or float cinnamon stick on soup.
I have never had carrot soup before and this was a very nice and light tasting treat. Would be wonderful for a dinner party or special occasion. I added 1 star anise to this recipe as I made/reveiwed this for My 3 Chefs and star anise was my category. I did use the vegetable broth and unsalted butter along with ground cinnamon instead of sticks.