Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from the Tassajara Bread Book. Yes, it's all whole wheat flour and honey. It turns out to a sweet, moist, dense cake. I would recommend covering it and letting it sit a day after baking, the flavors are blended and the bread tastes wonderful!
- Cook the carrots, raisins, honey, butter and spices in the water in a saucepan for 10 minutes over medium heat, then allow to cool.
- Mix together remaining ingredients in a large bowl then combine with wet ingredients until moistened.
- Pour into two well greased loaf pans.
- (I used 7 3/4 x 3 5/8 x 2 1/4).
- Pick one around that size.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a while then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
I had the same problem as Charishma. Next time I'll do the same too- make only one loaf. The idea of letting it sit until the next day is a good one. I subbed the allspice for ginger and that really packed a punch a day later!
This makes a wonderful eggless bread. I only found my bread was too small. I had halved the recipe and baked it in a 8 inch round pan in my AMC Dutch Oven for 1 hour. It baked well, but was too small. Next time, I'll use exactly the same qty. of ingredients as is mentioned here to make 1 loaf. I did use black walnuts instead of plain walnuts as I had the former on hand. I did substitute the butter with margarine and nutmeg with cinnamon. Thank You for sharing a somewhat healthy bread recipe.