Recipe by Sonya01
for my excess in carrots i always seem to have. For a non-spicy version, substitute dill for coriander and do not include spices.
- 2 large about 340g carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- vegetable oil or ghee, to shallow-fry
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the carrot, ginger, besan, eggwhite and coriander in a medium bowl. Place the mustard seeds and cumin seeds in a small frying pan over high heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic and the seeds begin to pop. Remove the frying pan from the heat and add the seeds to the carrot mixture. Stir to combine.
- Heat oil or ghee in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spoon 3 tablespoonfuls of the carrot mixture into the frying pan. Use the back of a spatula to firmly press the mixture down. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown and heated through. Transfer fritters to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat in 5 more batches with remaining carrot mixture, reheating pan between batches (you will have about 18 fritters).
- Place fritters on a platter and serve with the coconut sambal, cucumber pickle and bought mango chutney.