This is my adjustment of a recipe from the Dec. 2004 issue of Martha Stewart Living. I wanted to make it healthier by adding more whole grains, so I did and it's yummy. Also, I have not added the orange peel myself yet, but I can tell it would be perfect. These are wonderful light muffins, stacked high and a beautiful color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup dried currants or 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup chapati flour (whole wheat pastry flour, lighter than red wheat flour)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 orange, zest of
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups finely grated carrots (about 7 carrots)
- 1Heat currants and 1 c water in a small saucepan over low heat until plump, about 20 minutes.
- 2Drain and cool.
- 3Mix together flours, leavening and spices.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Grate carrots and set aside.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Put eggs in mixing bowl and beat to blend.
- 8Beat in oil and sugar on medium until combined.
- 9Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture in three batches until just combined.
- 10DO NOT OVERMIX.
- 11Just barely holding everything together will make a better texture.
- 12Fold in the carrots and currants until equally distributed.
- 13Pour batter into 12 paper-lined muffin cups, heaping batter on each muffin until all is used.
- 14Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick tests clean in the center of a center muffin, about 25 minutes.
- 15Remove tin to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- 16Remove muffins and cool completely on rack.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot-Currant Spice Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.4
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 240.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 24.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of