Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You'll be suprised at how well the unusual orange icing complements the carrot flavour. These are even better the next day (if you still have any left). This recipe is from Gourmet Magazine (Dec. 07). Enjoy!
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Make cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Coarsely grate enough carrots to measure 2 cups using large teardrop holes of a box grater.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Whisk together oil, eggs, brown sugar, grated carrots, and vanilla in a large bowl, then stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted into center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on rack, about 1 hour more.
- To make the icing: Sift confectioners sugar into a bowl. Whisk in zest and 2 tablespoons juice until smooth. If icing is too thick, add more juice, 1 teaspoon at a time. Dip top of each cupcake into icing, letting excess drip off. Let icing set, about 15 minutes.
This is really a very excellent recipe! I made it in a cake pan instead and ended up with it being a bit too moist in the center (the fork came out clean but I was being fooled!). I added a bit of cardamon too as I am a big fan - and topped with candied chopped pecans :). My aunt and her sister run a bake shop and my aunt left our family get together asking where I go the recipe. I almost didn't want to share. As for the center, un-done part of my cake... it was rolled up into lasagna noodles and topped with a blue cheese cream sauce! Heaven!
Let me preface this review by saying that I did not use the icing associate with this recipe and cannot rate it. Nevertheless, these cupcakes were beyond fabulous. And I don't even like carrot cake. This is a must try. I can't wait to make it again with the orange icing.