Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
from "healthy food for living" - http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/?p=11639
Make and share this Carrot Cupcakes With Maple Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated peeled carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 4 ounces neufchatel cheese, room temperature (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pure maple extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together pastry four, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar, and eggs. Whisk in the applesauce and vanilla extract. Stir in the grated carrots.
- Add the flour mixture to the carrot mixture and stir just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cook in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make frosting by using an electric mixer to beat cream cheese, maple syrup, and maple extract until smooth. Once cupcakes are cooled completely, frost!