Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
From Bon Appetit, April 1999. Moist, gingery, delicious! Freeze well, too.
Top Review by cpirolo_8722739
These are delicious. I baked them 22 minutes and they were perfect! The frosting is to die for, just enough warmth to cut through the sweetness.. Maybe next time, and there will be a next time, I'm going to add some chopped nuts to the batter.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 3.69 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 158.51 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 354.88 ml finely grated peeled carrots
- 59.14 ml crushed pineapple in juice, drained
Ginger-Cream Cheese Icing
- 170.09 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
- 709.77 ml confectioners' sugar
- 9.85-14.78 ml fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line twelve 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture in 2 additions, beating until well blended after each addition. Mix in carrots and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Turn cupcakes out onto racks and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.)
- Spread top of each cupcake with scant 3 tablespoons Ginger-Cream Cheese Icing.
- To make the icing: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar and ginger; beat until fluffy and smooth. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature, then beat until fluffy before using.).