Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Bon Appetit, April 1999. Moist, gingery, delicious! Freeze well, too.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pineapple in juice, drained
Ginger-Cream Cheese Icing
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line twelve 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture in 2 additions, beating until well blended after each addition. Mix in carrots and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Turn cupcakes out onto racks and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.)
- Spread top of each cupcake with scant 3 tablespoons Ginger-Cream Cheese Icing.
- To make the icing: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar and ginger; beat until fluffy and smooth. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature, then beat until fluffy before using.).
These are delicious. I baked them 22 minutes and they were perfect! The frosting is to die for, just enough warmth to cut through the sweetness.. Maybe next time, and there will be a next time, I'm going to add some chopped nuts to the batter.
I am rating this 5 stars for the icing alone! It will be my go-to recipe every time I make carrot cake now! It was delicious, and I am not a huge ginger fan normally! The cupcakes ended up a bit on the dry side after baking for 30 minutes, so next time I will start checking them earlier. Everyone at my dinner party really enjoyed them!