Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
Adapted from Ellie Krieger's
For the batter
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, finely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the batter:.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar and eggs until thoroughly combined. Mix in the applesauce, vanilla and carrots. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in 1/4 cup of the chopped walnuts.
- Evenly divide the batter between a 12 cup muffin tin lined with paper liners. Bake until golden and a toothpick placed in the center comes out mostly clean - about 16-20 minutes. Remove and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting:.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and lemon zest until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes and scatter the tops with the 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts.