Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm not sure where I got this recipe from, but I've had it in my recipe stash for a long time. This is a diffirent kind of carrot cake, with a crumb topping. It resembles more of a coffeecake. It is easy to make using a food processor.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour milk (add 1 teaspoon vinegar to sour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350*. Process butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, milk and carrots until well-blended and carrots are finer.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Pour carrot mixture over, stirring to blend. Pour in greased 9" x 9" pan.
- TOPPING: Combine brown sugar, flour and melted butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake @ 350* for 40-45 minutes.