Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great carrot side dish that can easily be doubled or even tripled to serve a large dinner party. You can make this with peeled baby carrots also. Pat the cooked carrot sticks dry with a paper towel to insure they are very dry before placing them in the skillet.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
One of these days I'm gonna serve a dinner in which every dish has cranberries, & this one might just be included ~ This is A WONDERFUL, TASTY WAY TO SERVE CARROTS, & I especially loved the combo of brown sugar, cinnamon & mustard! Also used toasted pecans! Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Bargain Basement cooking game]
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into about 2-1/2x1/2-inch sticks (you can make them a little larger if desired)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (I use Ocean Spray dried Craisins)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the carrot sticks with about 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for about 7-9 minutes, just until tender-crisp; drain very well (or you can steam the carrots also).
- In a small mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, mustard and about 1/2 teaspoon salt, add in the orange juice; whisk to combine.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add in carrots and the orange juice mixture.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the carrot sticks are coated, stirring frequently.
- Add in sweetened dried cranberries; cook until heated through.
- Season with pepper if desired.
- Garnish with chopped pecans.