Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I've been trying all kinds of different recipes for carrot salad, and just haven't found the right one yet. So....I decided to stop dorking around, and create one myself. It's taken a few attempts ;) but I finally found the right combinations, at least for me. The dressing is not as sweet as some, allowing the flavours to show through more. I hope you enjoy it too. Note: Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip (salad dressing)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed, rubbed to release more flavour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bag carrots, matchstick cut
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, loosely packed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Mix together dressing, lime juice, celery seed, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss together carrots, cranberries and onion. Add dressing mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
This was a really nice change from the shredded carrot salads that I normally eat. I used fat free mayo because I can't get miracle whip in the UK (for a short glorious period we could and then it vanished). I was fine with the level of lime juice and the more I ate the better all the tastes combined to make for a very nice side to lunch. Made for Oz/NZ tag.
We both enjoyed this. I think it was tasty and colourful and so would make an excellent inclusion to a selection of salads. I couldn't buy celery seeds today, so I used some finely chopped celery leaves. I would also like some lime zest in it next time.
Yummy! I used soy mayonnaise instead of miracle whip (it's not available in Australia) and I had to substitute the green onions to brown onions because I ran out. I also added a pinch of fresh parsley to give it some green colour (because it was missing the green onion). The flavours were every nice, the lime with the mayo and celery seed all worked out well. Thank you Diana #2