Recipe by Sydney Mike
Along with its regular counterpart, this vegan recipe was found in As You Like It Cookbook, 2001. Preparation time does not include time needed for the finished loaf to cool to room temperature.
Top Review by Lalaloula
Excellent bread indeed! So soft and moist with a lovely crunch to the crust and awesome carrot flavour! The cornbread makes this hearty and special and the maple syrup boosts the carrot flavour quite nicely. I agree with Nyteglori, though that 6 tbs make this a bit too sweet, I think 3 is plenty. I used part whole spelt flour for this and about double the carrot. The bread baked through in 40 minutes and disappeared rather quickly after that. lol THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this easy and yummy keeper of a recipe with us, Syd!
Made and reviewed for WTTM November 2011.
- 295.73 ml unbleached white flour
- 236.59 ml cornmeal
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- 14.79 ml flax seed meal
- 29.58 ml water
- 295.73 ml soymilk
- 88.74 ml pure maple syrup
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 2.46 ml pure vanilla extract
- 59.14 ml carrot, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then oil & flour a 10"x6" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt & flax meal.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the water, soy milk, maple syrup, oil & vanilla, mixing well, before stirring in the carrots.
- Add the cornmeal mixture to the liquid ingredients, mixing well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan & bake for 1 hour & 15 minutes, or just until a wooden tootpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to sit in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the loaf by inverting the pan onto a wire rack.
- Turn the loaf right side up & let it cool to room temperature before slicing & serving.