This soup uses six RSC #10 ingredients, so you can omit the cream (and not use butter) for a vegan version. Serve hot. Also nice at room temperature.
- 2 ounces vegetable oil or 2 ounces butter
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 -10 cups vegetable stock (not all added at once)
- 3 tablespoons pearl barley
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (to garnish)
- Heat oil or butter in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Add carrots and onion. Stir well. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed coriander seeds, ground coriander and mace. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 6 cups of vegetable stock, and all other ingredients except the additional stock, and the cream and cilantro. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes or until carrots and barley are tender.
- Whiz the soup in a food processor (you'll probably need to do this in at least two batches), and return to cooking pan.
- Stir in the last 2-4 cups of vegetable stock (depending on how thin a soup you want) and the cream, if used.
- Heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve, garnished generously with chopped cilantro.
In the past I made a Carrot Coriander soup with potatoes and orange juice so was looking for something like that when I came across this one. I decided to try it and my husband and I agree we love it even more than the old one! It is a keeper! I bought 5 pounds of carrots for 99cents and then thought.. what to do with these? This is gourmet! I did not have mace so substituted cumin and was pretty liberal on all the spices and lemon juice. I only used about 1 1/2 cups broth to thin the soup in the end and used about 1/2 cup of milk and thought it was perfect. Even my 2 year old daughter ate it! Very yummy and healthy!
This recipe received firm 5 stars from both of us, even after I told my DH we were having carrot soup for the meal. He wasn't expecting to like it and really did. I thought this was simply outstanding and it is a recipe I will make a again! Thank you for your entry in RSC #10.
This soup is OUTSTANDING! Simple, elegant, and FULL OF FLAVOR. I only made 2 servings and wish I made more. I used Enova oil and sliced peeled baby carrots. I didn't have coriander seeds so doubled the ground coriander. I used brown sugar Splenda. I used 1 (14oz) can of vegetable broth and didn't use the cream. I covered it for step 4. I used my immersion blender to puree it. The cilantro went extremely well with it. My hubby practically licked his bowl. This one deserves to win. Good luck!