Recipe by wowmarlene
These cookies use besan/gram (chickpea) flour and whole wheat flour and contain no salt. The besan lends a somewhat nutty flavor, and shortening keeps the cookies soft.
Top Review by Cubanita
In the past I haven't enjoyed the texture of baked besan (rather than fried), but this recipe was great. As the other reviewer suggested, I added ground ginger and cardamom (and forgot the vanilla). This cookie is sweet, and I wonder if it would benefit from a dash of salt. Thank you, I'll be making these again!
- 59.14 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml besan
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml finely grated carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and finely grate one full carrot.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Mix in the egg.
- Add in the flour and baking powder.
- Fold in finely grated carrot until blended well.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 10-13 minutes.