If you like carrot cake you will love these cookies. I have had this recipe for years, tearing it out from a 1986 Family Circle Christmas cookie issue. Note that I make a few substitions to this original recipe....1/2 cup canola oil instead of butter, and I use whole wheat flour for health's sake. They come out great. Everyone loves these cookies and I don't even mention that they are a "health food" recipe. Doubling the ingredients works fine and the cookies freeze very well. My husband raids the fridge and eats them frozen!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour or 2 1/4 cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened or 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated raw carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease cookie sheets.
- 3Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into small bowl.
- 4Beat together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large mixer bowl until well mixed.
- 5Beat in egg, vanilla and orange rind.
- 6Stir in four mixture until well blended.
- 7Gently stir in carrot, coconut, walnuts and raisins.
- 8Dough will be very stiff, but don't worry.
- 9Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies.
- 10Sometimes I press the dough together with my fingers to make the cookie less crumbly when placing on the cookie sheets.
- 11Bake cookies in preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly colored.
- 12Remove to wire racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.6
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.9 mg
- Sodium 90.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 1.7 g