Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from my maternal grandmother, Anna Buhal'tsev (Bell) Mersky.
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute or 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooking oil (or more)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup water
- You can grate the carrots either by hand or in a food processor. When my grandmother was living, the food processors hand not yet been invented.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly flour your work surface and take a portion of the dough at a time, hand kneed the dough, and roll it out to approximately 1/16 inch thick, or even thinner.
- With either a cookie cutter or a glass, cut the cookies.
- Brush a cookie sheet slightly with cooking oil, or spray the cookie sheet with a non-stick cooking spray, and place the cookies onto the cooking sheet.
- Bake in oven, just until the edges of the cookies start to get slightly golden, about 30 minutes. Continue to check the cookies in the oven, and be careful not to over bake, as the cookies will not taste the same.
- Place the cookies onto a plate to cool before eating them.