1/1 Photo of Carrot Cookies
1 hr 5 mins
These soft citrus-infused carrot cookies get a moisture barrier and a little extra zing from the orange flavored frosting. They are not anything like spicy, heavy carrot cake, they are light and make a wonderful summer cookie. My mother got this recipe from a dear friend of our family, and I have not seen nor had another carrot cookie like these anywhere else.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare carrots: wash, peel and coarsely chop about 2 lbs of carrots. Boil in water until tender, usually about 20 minutes. Drain water from carrots then mash. Allow to cool to room temperature, or refrigerate if you are going to prepare the cookie batter later. Measure 2 cups of carrots for recipe.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 f degrees.
- 3Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 4Cream together sugar, shortening, eggs, vanilla and lemon extracts with a mixer in a large mixing bowl.
- 5Add in combined flour, baking powder and salt until incorporated (do not over mix).
- 6Add cooled mashed carrots and mix in, taking care not to over mix.
- 7Drop cookie dough by tablespoons onto ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet, at least 1 inch apart.
- 8Bake in 375 f. degree oven for 8-10 minutes, until the surface looks dry. They will not be browned. Cool on a rack until completely cool.
- 9While the cookies are cooling, prepare the frosting:.
- 10Mix the powdered sugar with the butter then add the orange juice a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- 11Frost cookies.
- 12Store cookies in the refrigerator with layers separated by waxed paper.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (2260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.1
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 9.0 mg
- Sodium 84.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 1.2 g