Recipe by CountryLady
This is another coffee cake recipe from Bonnie Stern's cooking school in Toronto. I like it plain but you could frost it with cream cheese icing!
Top Review by evelyn/athens
You really can't go wrong with a Bonnie Stern recipe, and I didn't on this one. Very nice cake, delicately spiced with a tender crumb. I could eat this every day with my coffee and be very, very happy. I liked the addition of the pineapple.
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch allspice
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (packed)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins or 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (or mixture)
- 3⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs with sugar in a large bowl until very light.
- Beat in oil.
- In another large bowl, combine or sift flour with baking powder, soda,cinnamon, nutmeg& allspice.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until combined.
- Stir in carrots, raisins& pineapple.
- Spoon into a buttered 8 inch (2 litre) loaf pan, lined with parchment paper- or use a tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 50- 60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.