Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a really moist hearty sweet bread that my family loves. It is adapted from a recipe in the "More With Less Cookbook". I sometimes reduce the fat even more by using apple sauce instead of the oil, but I do like the texture the oil gives it. Also, you can add 1/2 cup chopped nuts if you would like. It gives it a nice crunch.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs (or egg replacer or 6 egg whites)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk (or whatever milk you use)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1⁄3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Mix the flour through salt together in a very large bowl.
- Mix the eggs, oil and milk in a small bowl.
- Add those wet ingredients into the flour mix and stir it just until mixed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Put it into 2 bread pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray (or grease them however you usually do).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes or until done.
This is nice carrot bread. I liked the texture very much, but would prefer it to be a little sweeter and spicier, just personal preference. BTW, I cut the recipe in half to make one loaf, and baked it in an 8 by 5-inch pan, adding the optional nuts, and using the oil and whole egg. I followed the recipe otherwise. I did think the loaf turned out rather small. Thank you for letting me try your recipe.
Best after a few days in the refrigerator. I like to add a Cream Cheese Glaze.
Wonderful. Used half whole wheat anf more carrots than the recipie calls for...cooked it in a cake pan and passed it off as carrot cake. My hubby loves it, I love it... a real winner.