Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From TV Food Network's "Great Taste" event of May 4, 2002.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons soy oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1⁄2-1 whole jalapeno, including seeds,stemmed and minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, grated
- 3 tablespoons coriander leaves, fresh,chopped (cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed preferred,concentrate acceptable
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 scallion, chopped,white and green parts
- Heat a small skillet until warm.
- Add the oil, heat until warm.
- Add the jalapeno and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Transfer to a bowl large enough to hold all the carrots and let the jalopeno mixture cool.
- Add the carrots, coriander, lime juice, fish sauce and scallion to the jalapeno mixture.
- Mix well.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I prepared an East Indian dinner for friends recently and used this recipe for another colourful table chutney. Not only did it look good, it tasted great! It was the first chutney on the table to go. Easy to make with a food processor.