Recipe by Bogey'sMom
Another awesome and unique recipe from Forty Carrots in Memphis, TN. Cook time is chill time.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin, softened in
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup carrot, cooked and mashed
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 9-inch graham cracker crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine gelatin and milk mixture with 1/2 cup milk in heavy saucepan and heat gently to dissolve gelatin.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sugar, salt, cardamom, mace, ginger and nutmeg to gelatin mixture.
- Combine egg yolks and carrots in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of milk mixture, 1 Tablespoon at a time, to eggs and carrots.
- Blend in warmed egg yolks and carrots with remaining milk, sugar and spice mixture.
- cook 5 minutes at very low heat, being careful not to curdle eggs.
- Remove from heat and chill until partially set.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat to stiff peaks.
- Fold into carrot mixture along with whipped cream.
- Pile into crust.
- Chill until firm.