Recipe by Geema
You must try this wonderful combination of flavors. It provides lots of protein for vegetarians, but it's also a great side dish for a simple grilled meat entree. I think you could substitute rice for the qunioa if it's not available to you. The next time I make this, I think I'm going to stir in some fresh chopped spinach just before serving instead of the parsley.
Top Review by Oliver & Fischer's Mommy
This was a great easy recipe for a yummy and nutritious dish. We like a little more flavor and spice to our food, so I made these changes to suit our tastes: 1 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, doubled the garlic, and used chopped cilantro instead of parsley. You could definately mix in other veggies like broccoli, peas, green beans, etc, or use a different type of bean. I used this as a side dish with salmon cakes for my husband and I put some in a warmed piece of galic naan with greek yogurt for myself. I will definatly make this again! Thanks alot!
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 473.18 ml baby carrots, peeled cut in 1/2 in. pieces (11 oz.)
- 411.06 g can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 473.18 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth or 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml quinoa, rinsed for 2 minutes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, cayenne, and cumin and stir 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, garbanzos, and broth and bring to boil.
- Add quinoa and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley.