You must try this wonderful combination of flavors. It provides lots of protein for vegetarians, but it's also a great side dish for a simple grilled meat entree. I think you could substitute rice for the qunioa if it's not available to you. The next time I make this, I think I'm going to stir in some fresh chopped spinach just before serving instead of the parsley.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups baby carrots, peeled cut in 1/2 in. pieces (11 oz.)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed for 2 minutes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, cayenne, and cumin and stir 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, garbanzos, and broth and bring to boil.
- Add quinoa and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley.
This was a great easy recipe for a yummy and nutritious dish. We like a little more flavor and spice to our food, so I made these changes to suit our tastes: 1 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, doubled the garlic, and used chopped cilantro instead of parsley. You could definately mix in other veggies like broccoli, peas, green beans, etc, or use a different type of bean. I used this as a side dish with salmon cakes for my husband and I put some in a warmed piece of galic naan with greek yogurt for myself. I will definatly make this again! Thanks alot!
Pretty and tasty. Also simple to make. I used cooked pinto beans as we had no garbanzos. I put in more garlic and cayenne than asked for and omitted the salt. And used low sodium veggie broth. It was very good and could take many variations.
Excellent recipe! Simple but very flavorful and nutritious, and interesting texture. The only change I made to the recipe was using about 3/4 tsp of curry powder instead of the 1/2 tsp cumin. You can add lots of other veggies, too.