I have been posting some recipes i want to try from TOH and that are for two people. This looks like a yummy dish, side for 2-3 or main meal for one. Easily increased as well.
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- place 1 inch of water in a small saucepan. Add carrots, bring to a boil then simmer until crisp tender. drain and set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute green peppers and onions in tbs of butter til tender. stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk whisking to stop lumps. Bring to a boil, cook and stir 2 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in jalapeno, parsley, savory and carrots. Transfer to a 2 cup baking dish coated with non stick spray.
- In small pan, melt remaining butter add breadcrumbs. Cook and stir until toasted. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 for 15-20 minutes until bubbling.
I really like the onion and peppers in this. DS wanted more breadcrumbs on it. Oh yes, I added the jalapenos which gave it just a little kick. Love this recipe! Made for *1 2 3 Hit Wonders* game 2007
VERY Delishious side dish!! This casserole was so yummy! The jalapenos did not over power the dish at all. It was not hot at all, just a perfect mix of flavor!!! Served with a BBQ sauce meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
What a great way to dress up what many think of as a lowly vegetable! I love carrots raw or cooked, & your recipe takes 'em to a whole new level! The only thing I left out were the optional jalapenos! Absolutely appreciated this carrot casserole, & thank you for sharing it with us! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hits recipe tag]