Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
this is based on a recipe from The Art of Vegetarian Indian Cooking, by Yamuna Devi-- a must have for vegetarian cooks and anyone interested in Indian Cuisine.
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 8 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cashews, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Strain the yogurt for 1 to 3 hours (you can line a strainer or colander with cheesecloth or a tea towel, add yogurt, then gather up the corners, tie them tight, and hang in from the faucet).
- Place drained yogurt in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Chill for several hours, and enjoy cold or at room temperature.
This was really tasty! The only ingredient I omitted was the dates since I didn't have those on hand. I had this with Nepali vegetable pulao and it went very well. Thanks for sharing!