Recipe by melting pot
Yes, I realise I have written the word 'carrot'twice in the title. That's because this recipe truly does bring out the carrot flavour of carrots. Cooking the carrots and mashing is the key. Using a microwave or steaming them is better than boiling, because it retains the flavour. Packed full of vitamin A, this recipe is egg-and dairy-free.
- 3 carrots
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour (whole-wheat or plain)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ginger powder (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the carrots into chunks and place the carrots and water in a bowl and cover the top with cling wrap. Place in the microwave and heat for 15 min on high.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees Celsius Lightly grease the bottom of two mini loaf pans or one medium loaf pan.
- Place in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Don't worry if it's not very smooth.
- Add the oil, honey and applesauce and mix.
- Add the flour and salt and ginger powder. Mix until even.
- Pour into 2 mini loaf pans or one medium loaf pan. Cooking time is similar for both, although you might have to cook for longer if using a medium loaf pan. Sprinkle sunflower seeds evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-35 min if using two mini loaf pans, or 35-45 min if using medium size.
- Allow to cool for a minute before turning out.