1/3 Photos of Carrot Cake With Pecan Cream Filling and Cream Cheese Icing
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 10 mins
You have to start this the day before you plan to serve it as the Pecan Cream Filling needs refrigeration time. A great variation on the usual carrot cake as this is made in a tube pan and split into layers. I found this treasure back a few years in a cute little cookbook called "Beat This".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Pecan Cream Filling
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5/8 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups corn oil
- 2 cups sugar (preferably superfine or Baker's)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups grated carrots (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1For Pecan Cream Filling: A day before you make the cake, blend the sugar, flour and salt in a heavy saucepan.
- 2Gradually stir in the cream.
- 3Add the butter.
- 4Cook and stir the mixture over low heat until the butter has melted; then let simmer 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 5Cool to lukewarm.
- 6Stir in the pecans and vanilla.
- 7Let the mixture cool completely.
- 8Refrigerate it overnight.
- 9If it is too thick to spread, bring it to room temperature before using.
- 10For Carrot Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 11Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- 12In a large bowl, whisk together the corn oil and the sugar.
- 13In another bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 14Sift half the dry ingredients into the oil-sugar mixture, then blend well.
- 15Sift in the rest of the dry ingredients while adding the eggs, one at a time.
- 16Mix well.
- 17Add the carrots and pecans and mix again. (If you like raisins in your cake, feel free to throw some in now).
- 18Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan.
- 19Bake for 70 minutes, or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- 20Cool upright, in the pan, on a rack.
- 21While the cake is baking, prepare the icing.
- 22Icing: Cream together the butter and cream cheese until well blended and fluffy.
- 23Sift in the confectioners' sugar.
- 24Cream again. Then beat in the vanilla and the salt. If the icing is too soft to spread, chill it for a few minutes.
- 25Refrigerate it if you don't plan to use it right away, but bring it back to room temperature before using.
- 26Assembly: Run knife around inside of pan to loosen cake.
- 27Invert onto serving plate.
- 28With a long serrated knife, carefully split the cake into 3 horizontal layers.
- 29Spread the filling between the layers. (You may not need it all).
- 30Frost the top and sides of the cake with the icing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Cake With Pecan Cream Filling and Cream Cheese Icing
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1233.6
- Calories from Fat 735
- Total Fat 81.7 g
- Saturated Fat 31.0 g
- Cholesterol 189.6 mg
- Sodium 647.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 98.9 g
- Protein 8.8 g