Prep 0 mins
Cook 14 mins
This is the best carrot cake ever. Is so moist and full of flavour. Is a must to try it with the maple cream cheese frosting. Is a must try carrot cake! http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/12/carrot-cake-with-maple-cream-cheese-frosting/ Makes 24 cupcakes (or one two-layer cake)
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 295.73 ml canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 709.77 ml grated peeled carrots
- 236.59 ml coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 118.29 ml raisins (optional)
maple cream cheese frosting
- 2 (453.59 g) package cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 59.14 ml pure maple syrup
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in medium bowl to blend. Whisk sugar and oil in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in carrots, walnuts and raisins, if using them. Divide batter among cupcake molds, filling 3/4 of each.
- Bake cupcakes 14 to 18 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Let cool in pans for five minutes or so, then transfer cakes to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before icing them.
- To make a carrot layer cake: Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans instead of cupcake molds. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper. Butter and flour paper; tap out excess flour. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, and bake the layers for about 40 minutes each, or until a tester inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks. Peel off waxed paper; cool cakes completely.
- In a stand mixer beat all the ingredients on medium until fluffy. Chill the frosting for 10 to 20 minutes, until it has set up enough to spread smoothly.
- The spazzy star decorations were created by putting the maple cream cheese frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and dolloping away. An extra layer of dollops were piped nearer to the center, to create a domed effect.
- To assemble a carrot layer cake, frost the top of one cake, place the other cake on top. Frost the sides and top, swirling decoratively. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set up frosting.
Love this recipe; made it for thanksgiving as well as for birthdays and have always gotten grate reviews. I do add a little salt to the icing to cut some of the sweetness
This is an awesome recipe. Very moist and always receives really awesome compliments when I make it for others. The frosting is just that little bit more special with the maple syrup added.