Recipe by Terese
A colleague at work bought this cake in for his birthday that his wife was kind enough to make. This is one of the best carrot cake recipes I've tried, so good I asked for the recipe!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated carrots (usually about 1 large carrot)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- 3 -4 drops vanilla essence
- lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, carb soda, mixed spice, ginger and salt into a bowl. Add sugar, carrot and nuts. Make a well add eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a well greased ring tin/cake tin. Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cake cooler. Set aside.
- When cold, ice the top of the cake with lemon icing, sprinkle with slivers of lemon peel. This cake will keep fresh and moist for about 1 week.
- TO MAKE THE LEMON ICING:.
- Beat the icing sugar, lemon juice and softened butter well together. Add vanilla essence and if necessary adjust consistency with extra icing sugar or lemon juice.
- Spread thickly onto cooled cake and top with lemon peel.