My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, shredded**
- 1 cup corn oil
- 8 ounces unsweetened pineapple, crushed, drained
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 2/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- fresh edible flower
- 1For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- 2Butter three 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides.
- 3Line bottoms with waxed pape r.
- 4Butter paper.
- 5Mix together oil, pineapple, eggs, vanilla and carrots.
- 6Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- 7Stir into oil mixture. Mix in walnuts.
- 8Divide batter among prepared pans.
- 9Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- 10Cook cakes in pans on racks.
- 11For Frosting: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- 12Gradually beat in sugar.
- 13Chill until firm but spreadable, about 1 hour.
- 14Turn cakes out of pans; peel off waxed paper.
- 15Place 1 cake on platter.
- 16Spread 3/4 cup frosting over.
- 17Top with second cake. Spread 3/4 cup frosting over.
- 18Top with third cake. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- 19Cover with cake dome and refrigerate. Let stand 3 hours at room temperature before serving.) Garnish cake with flowers.
- 20** Actual recipe calls for carrots to be cut into 1/2-inch pieces and cooked in a large pot of boiling salt ed water until tender, about 12 minutes.
- 22Puree in processor, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl.
- 23Transfer to large bowl and cool.
- 24I prefer to use the shredded carrots and have had very good results.
- 25I have also baked this in a large sheet cake size pan and adjusted the cooking time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Cake with Lemon Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 830.7
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 115.8 mg
- Sodium 512.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 77.1 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh edible flowers