Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 9 mins
After many attempts at finding a decent recipe, I now use this one - taken from a Womens Weekly cookbook.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 30 g butter, softened
- 80 g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Grease a 22cm round cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Beat oil, sugar and eggs in a small ball with an electric mixer until thick and creamy.
- Transfer mixture to a larger bowl; using a wooden spoon, stir in carrot and nuts, then siffted dry ingredients. Pour the mixture into your prepared tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 1/4 hours. Stand cake for 5 minutes before transfering to a wire to cool.
- Beat butter, cream cheese and rind in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually beat in icing sugar until smooth. Spread on top of cooled cake.
A very moist, yummy cake - very easy to put together too !