Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Super moist and tasty carrot cake topped with creamy cream cheese frosting.
- 1 cup pecans
- 3⁄4 lb raw carrot, finely grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter or spray two - 9 x 2 inch cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.
- Toast the pecans for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- I a large bowl beat the eggs until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored.
- Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
- While waiting for cake to finish cooling, beat the cream cheese and butter, on low speed, until very smooth with no lumps.
- Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- To assemble: place one cake, top side down, onto your serving plate.
- Spread with about a third of the frosting.
- Gently place the other cake, top of cake facing up, onto the frosting, and spread the rest of the frosting over the top of the cake.
- If desired, garnish with toasted nuts or toasted coconut and/or marzipan carrots.