Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
For a moister carrot cake, add 1/2 to 1 cup of crushed pineapple or applesauce to the batter when you add the vanilla extract. You may have to bake the cake a few minutes longer.
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups raw carrots, finely grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in center of oven. Spray two 9x2-inch cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.
- Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs until frothy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored. Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. With a large spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5-10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
- To assemble: place one cake, top side down, onto your serving plate. Spread with about a third of the frosting. Gently place the other cake, top of cake facing up, onto the frosting, and spread the rest of the frosting over the top of the cake.