1/2 Photos of Carrot Cake With Buttermilk Glaze
1 hr 15 mins
Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
This is Grandma Great's recipe. What makes this cake different from other's posted here is additional coconut and walnuts in the glaze and the technique of broiling the cake with the glaze. The amounts are a little different too. This is by far our favorite carrot cake. If you don't want a cream cheese frosting, this glaze is a perfect compliment to a moist but very dense cake. Do not Beat the cake mix, stir by hand - very important!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray (No need to grease - there is oil in the cake batter).
- 2In a bowl beat eggs with sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla for about 5 minutes (beat for 5 minutes, no less!).
- 3In another bowl mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; add to the egg mixture *STIR* with wooden spoon until combined.
- 4Fold in carrots, drained pineapple, coconut and walnuts; mix with wooden spoon until combined.
- 5Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- 6Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Cover the pan loosley with foil to prevent excess browning. Continue to cook another 25 minutes.
- 7Buttermilk glaze:.
- 8In a heavy saucepan bring the sugar, baking soda, butter, buttermilk and corn syrup to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 9Cook for about 2 minutes add 1/2 cup coconut and 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
- 10continue to cook another 2 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- 12Poke holes in cake (I use a kabob skewer) Pour buttermilk glaze over hot cake.
- 14Return cake to oven and broil until bubbly -- about 1-2 minutes.
- 15Cool completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Cake With Buttermilk Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 784.4
- Calories from Fat 384
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 89.0 mg
- Sodium 658.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 71.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g