Recipe by Kim D.
This was my Maw Maw's recipe for carrot cake and it was one of her specialties. A true Southern treat! We used to request it often. Now I make it for my family.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups grated carrots
- 3 3⁄4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For cake, beat sugar, vegetable oil, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- Add carrots and water and mix until combined.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to the egg mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add pecans and coconut.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold stiffly beaten egg whites carefully into the batter.
- Pour batter into a greased tube pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- While cake is still warm, mix up icing.
- For icing, mix sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, corn syrup, and baking soda in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Icing will be very thin - really like a glaze.
- Remove cake to a serving plate.
- Punch holes in cake with an ice pick.
- Pour icing (or glaze) over cake.
- ~NOTE~ If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can place 2 tablespoons vinegar in a 1/2-cup measuring cup. Fill cup with milk and let set a few minutes before adding it to the other ingredients.