Prep 9 mins
Cook 16 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, adapted from Sydney Oland for Serious Eats. More at: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/carrot-cake-pancakes-with-sweet-orange-cream-recipe.html. Whenever I use an orange or lemon or lime, I first microplane the zest and freeze the zest for later use; then I don't have to buy an orange to make a recipe like this. Make sure your ground ginger is not stale, although it lasts 2-3 years if stored in a dark, dry space.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (~5 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pecans, chopped for garnish (optional)
- ORANGE CREAM.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients and reserve until ready to serve.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet in the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons chopped pecans.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Add about 1/3 of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix just until combined. Repeat until all dry mixture has been incorporated.
- Fold in carrots.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add batter using a 1/4 cup scoop, fitting as many as desired as long as they don't touch.
- When bubbles begin to form on the surface of the pancake, flip the pancake and continue to cook until pancakes have browned, about 3 minutes.
- Set cooked pancakes on rack in rimmed baking sheet in oven while you cook remaining pancakes. Repeat from Step 9.
- Serve pancakes with orange cream and additional pecans.