Entered for safe-keeping, adapted from Sydney Oland for Serious Eats. More at: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/carrot-cake-pancakes-with-sweet-orange-cream-recipe.html. Whenever I use an orange or lemon or lime, I first microplane the zest and freeze the zest for later use; then I don't have to buy an orange to make a recipe like this. Make sure your ground ginger is not stale, although it lasts 2-3 years if stored in a dark, dry space.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (~5 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pecans, chopped for garnish (optional)
- 1ORANGE CREAM.
- 2In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients and reserve until ready to serve.
- 4Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet in the oven.
- 5In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons chopped pecans.
- 6In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- 7Add about 1/3 of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix just until combined. Repeat until all dry mixture has been incorporated.
- 8Fold in carrots.
- 9Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 10Add batter using a 1/4 cup scoop, fitting as many as desired as long as they don't touch.
- 11When bubbles begin to form on the surface of the pancake, flip the pancake and continue to cook until pancakes have browned, about 3 minutes.
- 12Set cooked pancakes on rack in rimmed baking sheet in oven while you cook remaining pancakes. Repeat from Step 9.
- 13Serve pancakes with orange cream and additional pecans.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Cake Pancakes With Sweet Orange Cream
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.3
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 118.4 mg
- Sodium 686.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 10.2 g